Humble Pie

I'm a fairly private person.  My introvert side whipped into a frenzy when I opted to come out of the cancer closet last week.  Word is spreading in the community and to our families at school.  It was no easy task, but coming out has made me privy to the grandest event I've ever witnessed.  Everyone is exuding the most brilliant energy.  There is a golden aura encapsulating the world emulating from people’s love and light.  A whirlwind of human greatness swirls around me and I’ve got the best seat in the house.  

Cancer, you may have bested me before but now you're down in the count.  Prepare to be defeated.  You gained the upper hand when it was just me and my small band of Merrymen.  We’re not easily conquered.  AND now we have an army.  The people by my side has multiplied ten fold.  Checkmate.    

A Turkish proverb states, "Tell me who your friend is and I will tell you who you are."  In this essence, I am Jenn's brilliance, Sarah's exuberance, Tiff's animation, Lyndsey’s generosity, Betsy's empathy, Shelley's vivacity, Dad's strength, Susan’s tenacity, Aunt Deb’s consideration and the Brown Moms' fervor.  PLUS the millions of traits bestowed upon me by everyone I didn’t name... and so desperately want to name.  I’ll start a new blog and call it: I Want To Thank Everyone Personally But Can’t So I’m Writing Your Name On This Blog Which is Not Even Close to Being Good Enough But I Don’t Know How Else to Thank You and I’m Getting Buried Under a Mountain of Indebtedness.  That has a nice ring to it.  

The outpouring of love from the Brown community has been purely epic/monumental/heroic.  The masses are rallied to my side and the flood gates opened.  Students are starting to hear about me from their parents.  With a gentle tone and loving smile I ask the kids who have “that look” if there is anything they want to talk to me about.  Their precious and perfect answer, alongside an expression of concern and compassion, is a variation of, “I’m sorry to hear you have cancer.”  Questions about how I’m feeling follow.  I assure them I'm doing GREAT.  “I’ve found some really good doctors who are going to help me.”  I receive lots of hugs.  Today, I was excitedly handed an envelope.  Upon opening it, I found a handmade card with a picture of a kitty that reads, "I hope this will help".... and six dollars.  

Jenn Stuart, marketing revolutionary and graphic designer extraordinaire, has secured my place in history with the dawn of Drahota Lives and www.drahotalives.com.  Anyone who doesn't know what to do with a few extra bucks can get rid of them here.  Rest assured, this body you're helping me fix will be amply taken care of.  I'm very good about my diet, with the occasional exception of a mini Snickers self-propelling itself into my mouth.  I can’t control that.  I always wear my seat belt.  I recycle.  I can't wait to get back to regular workouts and yoga.

Aside from school/work, I’m officially out in social media.  I act like Facebook is ridiculous, and it is, but I gotta say it's shown me a lot of love recently.  Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me.  Your words are heard.  Friends and friends of friends shared the link to drahotalives.com and urged facebookers around the globe to donate.  The power of social media is quite mind blowing.  


Whilst enjoying my favorite app in the universe, Spotify, "Who's Thinking About You Now" began crooning in my eardrums.  I froze.  Everyone.  The realization I had in that moment is:  Everyone is thinking about me.  Not just thinking but donating and organizing and being brilliant and caring and FAR too generous.  I will simply continue to sink into a debt of gratitude towards half of the planet for everything that's happening.  I don't deserve any of this but I'm reveling in the miracle of it.






3 comments:















  1. Beautiful & courageous!
    all my love,
    -friend of a friend


    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful blog!

    I don't think we've met, Lindsey, but I found out about you through the good ladies on Highlands Mommies & I know lots of good folks in the Brown community.

    I wrote like crazy when my 26 year old brother was going through cancer treatment and I know how healing it was for me. It wasn't until that dark hour that I fully realized how much love and support surrounded me in the world as people stepped forward in vast numbers to support us.

    Yes that chapter of my life was about cancer and endless medical procedures. But mostly it was about love. I hope that remains the case for you.

    Angela Sasseville, MA, LPC, NCC
    Director & Licensed Psychotherapist
    Flourish Counseling
    2539 Eliot St, Denver, CO 80211
    303.455.3767
    www.FlourishCounseling.com

    ReplyDelete